The Vernacular Architecture Forum (VAF), a non profit dedicated to the appreciation and study of ordinary buildings and landscapes, is now accepting nominations for appreciation, protections and preservation advocacy work in the Intermountain West—a region bounded by the Rocky Mountains on the east and the Cascades and Sierra Nevada on the west.
Award for Advocacy
The Vernacular Architecture Forum encourages and supports citizen efforts to protect our vernacular built heritage. The protection and preservation of that heritage depends on good stewardship by property owners supported by sound government land use policies. However, the long-term preservation of our cultural heritage is rarely achieved without the support of a well-informed, involved citizenry.
The VAF seeks to encourage citizen-based advocacy by recognizing exemplary efforts and achievements on behalf of our vernacular built heritage. The VAF Award for Advocacy honors individuals and groups for exceptional contributions toward the appreciation and protection of vernacular buildings and landscapes. The award recognizes outstanding initiative, commitment, and action to promote and protect vernacular resources. The award may be made in recognition of a specific advocacy effort, or on the basis of the nominee's long-term record of advocacy.
This award will be presented at the concluding banquet of the annual VAF conference in Salt Lake City, Utah, May 31- June 3, 2017 http://www.vernaculararchitectureforum.org/event-2314166
• The 2017 Award for Advocacy is open to work performed in the Intermountain West—the territory bounded by the Rocky Mountains on the east and the Cascades and Sierra Nevada on the west. Any public or private entity in these states may be nominated.
- Nominee may be an individual or an organization and may nominate themselves for consideration.
- The basis of the nomination must be documented.
- Award is not based on victory (meaning not demolished) but demonstrating vision, outreach, reason, efficacy, players, timeline, and outcome.
- Deadline for submittal of nominations: March 15, 2017
- Nominations must include the following within a PowerPoint not to exceed 15 slides: A description of the organization and parties involved, the nature of the nominated project or program, the period of time of their involvement, where and why it occurred, and the outcomes. Please include good quality images pertinent to the work.
- Please include name, location and contact information (phone and email) of the nominee (or nominated organization) on the first slide. Please use this same name for the filename.
Awardee will be given full registration to the 2017 VAF conference, plus registration for a guest at the conference banquet, a certificate of excellence, recognition in our national newsletter and will be recognized during the banquet award ceremony.
Please submit all nominations as a single PowerPoint file to the following email address:
VAF_Awa.firstname.lastname@example.orgQuestions? email Maire O’Neill Conrad: email@example.com phone: (406) 994-3950