The Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Society of Architectural Historians
(SAH/MDR) is dedicated to open and informed advocacy for the built environment in the Pacific Northwest, while celebrating and promoting the people and cultures that shape and preserve it.
The Marion Dean Ross Chapter invites applications for the Elisabeth Walton Potter Research Awards
. The goal of this award program is to further awareness and knowledge of the architectural heritage of the Pacific Northwest. The chapter will provide limited funds for focused projects that increase understanding of the region’s built environment and produce tangible results (including articles, books, oral histories, podcasts, local exhibitions, etc.) that can be made available for interested scholars and students.
- Awards are available to members of the chapter (please note the student membership is free).
- Award amounts shall be no less than $500.00 and no greater than $2,000.00.
- The Executive Committee of the chapter shall review applications and determine recipient(s) of the award(s).
- Criteria for acceptance include a realistic scope and timeline, as well as demonstration of a strong, original research question.
- Current CV highlighting relevant education and experience.
Successful recipient(s) of award(s) shall present a summary of work to the membership at the annual meeting of the chapter following completion of the project.
- Deadline for submission of application – May 30, 2021.
- Date for awarding of grants – June 14, 2021.
Please use the following format when applying for the award:
- NAME of applicant with full contact information.
- PROJECT NAME: A short descriptive title for the project.
- DESCRIPTION: Briefly describe the project, including the genesis, purpose, and need. Explain its contribution to the understanding of architecture in the Pacific Northwest. If site specific, describe location.
- PRODUCT: Describe specific anticipated results of the project including, if applicable, quantity, users, accessibility, educational benefits or other pertinent information. Describe how Marion Dean Ross Chapter support will be acknowledged.
- TIME FRAME: State the estimated length of time to complete the project with anticipated beginning and end dates.
- AMOUNT: Specify the amount of money being requested. State the total amount to complete the project. If the amount requested from the Marion Dean Ross Chapter is less than the total, indicate how the remainder will be raised, so that the completion of the project is assured.
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: Successful applicants will be invited to report on their use of the award at a meeting of the Marion Dean Ross Chapter or in one of its publications. Any research project funded fully or in part by the chapter should acknowledge this support in print or verbally, as appropriate. A product (either digital or physical) resulting from chapter support should be deposited in the Marion Dean Ross Chapter Archives, University of Oregon Libraries.
Please submit the application to the chapter president via email (as an attached file) or surface mail. Include contact information – address, phone number(s), email address – with a cover letter or email message.
2019-2021 Chapter President: Dr. Amanda Roth Clark, 300 W. Hawthorne Rd., Spokane, WA 99251, 509-777-4482, email@example.com